lilium et. al. eco-dyeing
I have tried something different again.
Just as they were wilting, I cut up the yellow arum lilies from Salamanca
David gave me as I worked my way through a hefty commission.
I boiled up some plants from the garden, mostly eucalyptus because I love the aroma.
I tore strips of Hahnnemuhl paper and rolled a lily in each one, cutting it open to expose the stamen.
I rolled ten of these and place them in the boiling dye-pot.
I added 1/2 a teaspoon (only) of iron sulphate purchased from the local garden centre,
as my mordant.
It went this lovely rich brown/black colour! I always throw in some excess card & paper
for bookmarks and postcards.
Turn everything off and leave to do it's own thing! Poke and prod on occasion only to be nosy!
TWENTY FOUR HOURS LATER
Gently, one by one I tonged them out into the laundry tub.
Wear rubber gloves at all times! Never handle any of this stuff without them!
Looking gorgeous and these are only the offcuts!
The bands come off!
I gently run water and open one of the rolls to see my little surprises ...
When dry, I am amazed yet again at these lovely subtle and sublime treasures
to use as ground in my work.