Plant dyeing trials & tribulations
For a long time now I have wanted to experiment with plant dyeing papers for use with my calligraphy. The perfect time was the weekend of a football grand final. So with a little help from my friend and brilliant textile artist Kirsten Ingemar I have finally gotten around to it with mixed results. Below are the outcomes with mostly all happy accidents.
I have used plants from my own garden, boiled them all up together with just the tiniest bit of iron sulphate which immediately turned the hot-pot a silvery black. David cut down and sanded a rake handle for me to use to wrap my papers around, interwoven with leaves and bound with rubber bands.
I am no expert but I am happy with the results and am now looking forward to experimenting with other mordants and papers.
Waiting. Waiting. Waiting!
Rinsing before unrolling. Then rinsing each sheet separately.
I really enjoyed this process. I was like the proverbial piggy when the unfurled papers revealed themselves.