Sunday, September 29, 2013

Plant dyeing trials & tribulations




For a long time now I have wanted to experiment with plant dyeing papers for use with my calligraphy. The perfect time was the weekend of a football grand final.  So with a little help from my friend and brilliant textile artist Kirsten Ingemar I have finally gotten around to it with mixed results. Below are the outcomes with mostly all happy accidents.

I have used plants from my own garden, boiled them all up together with just the tiniest bit of iron sulphate which immediately turned the hot-pot a silvery black. David cut down and sanded a rake handle for me to use to wrap my papers around, interwoven with leaves and bound with rubber bands.

I am no expert but I am happy with the results and am now looking forward to experimenting with other mordants and papers.


 Detail


  Detail



  Detail



  Detail



Full sheets





















The process

















 Waiting. Waiting. Waiting!





 Rinsing before unrolling. Then rinsing each sheet separately.


I really enjoyed this process. I was like the proverbial piggy when the unfurled papers revealed themselves.





Sunday, September 1, 2013

Newly launched website

Last week I launched my new website.
I hope you can find some time to visit!


Thank You! 



Visit my website too!

Visit my website too!
In-class illumination demonstration

Something about Gemma

My photo
Blackmans Bay, Tasmania, Australia
I am an Australian, a letter designer & calligrapher. I enjoy working with letters and grounds, teaching and mixing with like-minded people.

Followers

Blog Archive